THE IMOVE INDUSTRY PHD PROGRAM IS AN EXCITING OPPORTUNITY FOR COMPANIES AND GOVERNMENT TO WORK CLOSELY WITH THE BEST AND BRIGHTEST STUDENTS TO DEVELOP NEW TECHNOLOGY, PROCESSES, AND THINKING.
The program pairs businesses with Universities and PhD students to work on an agreed topic over a three-year period.
The student has academic and iMOVE support, access to additional professional development activities, as well as a competitive stipend over this period.
Benefits for Industry
- A high-quality R&D resource for the business
- In-depth investigation of a topic
- Ongoing assistance from the university and iMOVE
- Connections to other organisations and networks in the same and related areas
- Access to industry events and opportunities through iMOVE
- Develop up-and-coming talent
Benefits for Universities
- Develop and strengthen linkages with industry
- Deliver industry-ready graduates
- Promote expertise
Benefits for Students
- Real-world experience
- Strengthen technical and soft skills
- Chance to meet potential employers
- Create industry networks early
As at February 2023 please note that this program is at capacity, and we are not accepting new applications. We leave the following information below for posterity, for those interested in how this program did work.
How does the program work?
Companies can form iMOVE Industry PhD projects in a few ways, including:
- Contacting us with topics/thoughts, and to find the right university / student when ready
- Talking to existing iMOVE university partners directly to develop a project
- Universities can also approach industry/government partners to develop a project idea before applying to iMOVE.
Visit our Transport Research Activities page for a guide to what research topics fall within iMOVE areas of interest.
PhD funding is $40,000 a year for a maximum of three years, which includes the student stipend and a travel and materials allowance for the project. The industry / government partner contributes $20,000 per annum, the remaining $20,000 is contributed by iMOVE and the university combined.
Who is eligible?
- Any ‘industry’ participant (business / government) – you don’t need to be an existing iMOVE CRC partner
- Universities must be one of the 17 that is an iMOVE partner
Please note, applications must come via the university or industry partner. Students should contact their university to discuss any application to join the program.
How to apply
FEBRUARY 2023 UPDATE: Due to overwhelming success we are at capacity for Industry-based PhDs and are no longer accepting applications.
See PhD student profiles
Read about the experience of some of the participants in this program, their projects, and words from their supervisors. We’re adding more profiles all the time, and they can be viewed at our List of PhD student profiles page.
List of PhD projects
Below is a list of the projects initiated by the iMOVE Industry PhD program.