Development of Healthy Heads App and Health Score: Phase 1
This project will focus on the development of the Healthy Heads in Trucks & Sheds (HHTS) mobile app and development of an evidence-based health score. Both will support the health and wellbeing of over 1.2 million people working across the transport and logistics industries in Australia.
HHTS is an industry-for-industry not-for-profit foundation, established by road transport, warehousing and logistics operators to support driver and worker physical and mental wellbeing.
The foundation is working with industry, government, the mental health sector, and research partners to utilise technology to support those working in the sector and their families through the development of an app and an integrated Health Score algorithm.
The overall goal of this initiative is to create a health and wellness program, based on evidence that:
- covers mental and physical health concurrently
- tracks wellness over time using a Health Score displayed in the app that could prompt further action
- is focused on behaviour change; and
- is a platform for sharing information and resources
UNSW has been engaged to deliver an evidence-based app utilising a Health Score algorithm and other measures to track the wellbeing of users over time, including a back-end database and server for monitoring. The Charles Perkins Centre at the University of Sydney will build the evidence-based algorithm to inform the Health Score.
Due to timelines and available budget for Phase 1 of this program, the effectiveness evaluation of the program and the refinement / final validity testing of the Health Score over an extended period of time and use are out of scope for this particular project. That said, these would be components of Phase 2, ensuring sustainability of the app in future.
- Understand existing patterns of health-related behaviour and mental health among the target occupational groups.
- In partnership with IHealthE at UNSW and a private app developer, develop an app that meets the needs of the target occupational groups utilising evidence-based approaches.
- Develop an evidence-based Health Score for use in the Healthy Head program app.
- Pilot/test with user groups and then launch the app and Health Score with the target occupational groups.
UPDATE: 17 August 2021
The Healthy Heads App has been released, and is available for free download now on the Apple App Store (for iPhone) and Google Playstore (for Android).
This is the first phase of development of the app, and in this release features include:
- A self-check-in quiz to help increase self-awareness
- Access to resources to create greater resilience
- Tools to help better managing day-to-day life
- Access to urgent support services
Please note …
Ongoing, this page will be a living record of this project. As it continues, matures, hits milestones, etc., we’ll add information, links, images, interviews and more. Watch this space!