This project will investigate & develop solutions for sustainable repurposing of used batteries from electric vehicles (EV), including mining trucks, buses, & cars.
Embracing biofuels to reduce reliance on fossil fuels, sustainable aviation fuel has the potential to reduce air travel’s carbon footprint – but perhaps at the expense of other industries in need of sustainable energy.
As the global airline industry recovers from the impact of travel restrictions during the COVID-19 pandemic, there is renewed focus of reducing air travel’s significant carbon emissions to help meet net zero targets.
Aviation accounted for 2% of global energy-related CO2 emissions in 2022, having grown faster in recent decades than rail, road or shipping, according to the International Energy Agency. While this is a relatively small share of global emissions, it is one of the most challenging sectors to decarbonise.
Aviation accounts for around 15% of global oil demand growth up to 2030, according to the International Energy Agency’s New Policies Scenario, a similar amount to the growth from passenger vehicles. Such a rise means that aviation will account for 3.5% of global energy related CO2 emissions by 2030, despite ongoing improvements in aviation efficiency.
In 2021, the International Air Transport Association released a plan for airlines to achieve net-zero carbon by 2050. Individual airlines have made similar commitments, including American Airlines, Qantas and Air New Zealand.
There are efforts to improve aircraft fuel efficiency, along with a push to curb unnecessary air travel, such as France’s ban on short-haul domestic flights. Meanwhile, the industry is also gradually reducing its reliance on fossil fuels with the introduction of biofuels.
- What is sustainable aviation fuel?
- How is sustainable aviation fuel made?
- What are the benefits of sustainable aviation fuel?
- What is the take-up of sustainable aviation fuel
- What are the challenges of sustainable aviation fuel?
- What is the future of sustainable aviation fuel?
- FACTS: A Framework for an Australian Clean Transport Strategy
- Sustainable aviation fuel resources
- Sustainable aviation fuel: Facts and figures
- Australian aviation statistics: 2000—2021
- iMOVE alternative fuels projects