Professor Lauren Rickards – Director, RMIT Urban Futures ECP
Professor Matt Duckham – Director, RMIT Information and Systems (Engineering) ECP
Associate Professor Sara Moridpour – Lead, Transport@RMIT
Transport at RMIT, in partnership with the Urban Futures and Information and Systems (Engineering) ECPs focus on cross-cutting research priorities.
Urban transport for large and complex cities
- Urban transport governance, & policy analysis
- Transport & land use integration
- Congestion management
- Travel behaviour & mode shift
- Social, environmental, health & equity outcomes
- Transport systems & productivity
- Infrastructure assessment, option analysis & financing
Healthy and active transport
- Evidence linking transport with health including economic models
- Active transport policy, infrastructure & planning
- Cyclist and pedestrian safety, policy & promotion
- Transport determinants of liveability
Spatial analysis and modelling
- Spatial, analytics & mapping
- Behaviour change models
- Social data analysis
- Travel behaviour modelling
Data & Technology
- Emerging technology
- User-centred technology, data and behavioural analysis
- Activity-based modelling
- Smartphone, IOT, Smart card, travel data & analytics
- Personalised mobility & journey planning
- Social media, sentiment & user experience data capture and analysis
- Governance, policy & regulation
- Autonomous vehicles & cyber-physical systems
- Vehicle efficiency
- Remote sensing & machine learning
- Gamification & apps
Freight & logistics for growing economies
- Freight flow modelling
- Logistics clusters
- Port logistics
- Cyber-physical systems
- Intelligent automation & trusted autonomous systems
- Intelligent Transport Systems
- Data, technology & supply change management & collaboration, including blockchain
- Environmental impact of freight
- Industrial design
- Vehicle design including conception, design, visualisation & proof of concept prototyping of cars, trains, aviation, bikes & shared vehicles
- Urban design & safety, including pedestrian safety
- Infrastructure design & urban realm
- User testing
Below is a selection of projects in which RMIT University has been involved. It includes project overviews, project outcomes, and PhD projects. For all iMOVE projects visit the List of iMOVE projects page.
Advanced driver state monitoring system
This PhD project aims to develop a system with a data-driven human driver behaviour model that can help detect the attention level of drivers and help them maintain a high level of attention while driving semi-autonomous vehicles.
MaaS and PT integration: Focus on vulnerable travellers
This PhD project will focus on smart adoption of Mobility as a Service with the purpose of providing vulnerable travellers (e.g., elderly and people with disabilities) with equitable mobility services.
Fixed-wing drones and small package delivery
Long-range and endurance package delivery systems have the potential to become part of the mainstream postal systems in the future. This project investigates a novel method of using a long tether and a medium fixed-wing drone to deliver multiple packages at various weights.
Mapping passive railway crossings to inform freight potential
The project seeks to assist the Australasian Centre for Rail Innovation (ACRI) to facilitate discussions with stakeholders about research and development needs related to the development of autonomous freight capabilities in Australia.
Free-flow parking for car-sharing
This project will work with key stakeholders in academia, government, industry, and the community to better understand the current parking challenges and work towards a solution that enables the wider availability and usability of car-share services.
Key research staff
Associate Professor Mahdi Jalili – Lead, RMIT EV Living Lab
Professor Jago Dodson – Director, Centre for Urban Research
Professor Pier Marzocca – Director, Sir Lawrence Wackett Aerospace Research Centre
iMOVE interviews and articles
Below is a selection of interviews we’ve conducted with RMIT University staff, as well as articles it has written for/provided us. For the complete list of RMIT University content on the iMOVE website visit the RMIT University tag page.
Nirajan Shiwakoti: Deep thoughts about surface transport
An interview with Nirajan Shiwakoti, senior lecturer at the School of Engineering at RMIT University, covering his research work, his academic journey, his thoughts on the future of transport and more.