Light Insight Trial (LiT): Smart bike lights data and road safety
Historically, insights related to the road safety issues faced by people who ride bicycles in Victoria has been limited. This has, in turn, left a gap in knowledge and limited evidence to inform road safety improvements. In response a team of road safety experts, researchers and cyclists will investigate whether the use of smart bicycle lights can address this gap and therefore improve safety for this group of road users.
Given the recent increase in active travel participation during the COVID-19 period and growing cycling infrastructure, initiatives for safer cycling are likely to further boost and encourage cycling participation.
Increasing the visibility of people who ride bikes is one of the key strategies to improve their safety. The technology integrated into See.Sense’s bike light has the potential to increase the visibility of cyclists and reveal data insights related to safety, cycling environment, and riding quality. These insights will create tremendous opportunities for safety diagnosis and policy making for safer cycling.
This trial aims establish if providing cyclists with this world-leading technology that enhances their visibility will also provide new insight into the road safety issues faced by this group.
- Empower people who ride to participate in a trial which will evaluate a smart bike lights ability to provide road safety insights to researchers and practitioners.
- Engage with a range of people who ride to ensure participation in the trial is widespread and representative of the whole cycling population.
- Evaluate the technology’s ability to allow cyclists to overlay their experience on top of road safety insights.
- Develop a framework for the technology that complies with privacy requirements and provides adequate detail to be useful to road safety practitioners.
- Understand if technology such as the See.Sense smart light is viable as a tool to inform the TAC on its investments or public education in the area of bicycle safety.
- Establish if the technology can produce insights which are sufficiently detailed such that they can inform the planning, investment and policy of Victorian road safety partners.
Please note …
Ongoing, this page will be a living record of this project. As it continues, matures, hits milestones, etc., we’ll add information, links, images, interviews and more. Watch this space!